Legal Requirements

As a Landlord you are legally responsible to ensure that where applicable you adhere to the following regulations:

  • The Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998
  • The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994
  • The Building Regulations 1991
  • The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993
  • Overseas Landlord Tax – Under the Finance Act 1995, HMRC introduced a system of self-assessment. All overseas landlords may apply to the Inland Revenue for a Certificate of Self-Assessment in order for rents to be paid over gross. We strongly recommend that all overseas landlords apply for self-assessment. Alternatively, Druce offer an overseas landlord service whereby the basic tax rate is deducted at source from the net rental income and paid direct to HMRC for a small charge. Our in-house chartered accountants are on hand to provide professional advice regarding these regulations.